Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Interview with an Experienced Cosplayer

Miles was one of the first people to introduce me to cosplay and has been consistent with it over the years. I asked him a few questions to gain some insight from a more experienced cosplayer.

How long have you been cosplaying?
Since June 2006, so a bit over five years.

How did you come to start cosplaying?
I was invited to attend my first convention in mid-2006 by a good friend. He convinced me to cosplay as was tradition for those attending the anime convention.

Why do you like to cosplay?
To be brutally honest, I did it at first for the attention (Hey, I was fifteen). Now it's more about the challenge involved in making the costumes and the fun behind devising the different ways of creating a real-life version of a fictional, two-dimensional character.

How many different characters have you cosplayed as?
About 10.

Do you have any particular favorites, and if so, which ones?
My favorite would have to be my Wakka costume [from Final Fantasy X]. I feel like I look and act like the character, so it's easier to don the costume than some of the others. If you don't feel comfortable with the character you're trying to portray, a big part of the experience is diminished.

What types of places do you cosplay at and which have been your favorites?

I cosplay at conventions, mostly. I used to wear a costume or two out in public places, but after some issues with security at a mall I have not worn a costume outside of a convention. Honestly, it's a bit silly to go around in public dressed in a costume. I guess I feel too old for it these days.

Do you prefer group or individual cosplay? Why?
Group. It's no fun if you're doing it alone.

Do you make your own costumes, buy them, or have help with them?
I make as much of my costume as I possibly can. For some of the more complex items, I will purchase them and when it comes to a question about sewing I'll ask my wonderful seamstress of a girlfriend to assist me.

In your opinion, what are the most important elements to a good cosplay?
It comes from the heart. If you're not having a good time, you're doing it wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment