Friday, October 14, 2011

Introduction

Purpose
This blog is intended for those of you who are interested in beginning to cosplay but are unsure of where to start. For those of you who are unsure of what cosplay entails, see the history of cosplay post.

What the Blog Will Provide
Instructions on how to
  • Choose a character
  • Find references for costumes
  • Choose and alter patterns
  • Choose and style wigs
  • Get into character

What the Blog Will Not Provide
  • Step by step instructions on how to  sew
  • Step by step instructions on how to make specific costumes
  • Galleries of cosplays from around the world

To Cosplay or Not
If you are considering cosplaying but are not sure if you are willing to put in the commitment, don’t worry.  Cosplay can be a fun hobby and while some people prefer making it a lifestyle you get to choose how important it is to you. Some people also worry about what their friends or family will think about the fact that they cosplay.  In the end, it’s important to do what makes you happy and you can be as public or private as you want about your hobbies. Many of the people I thought might look down on me for cosplaying have actually been impressed that I know how to make costumes. Don’t be quick to judge people in thinking that they will judge you.

Who I Am
My name is Andrea and I am a hobbyist cosplayer, perfectionist, research addict and student. I know the difficulties that can come with trying to begin cosplaying, especially cosplaying on a budget, and will work to include budget conscious ideas that still produce high-quality costumes.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! This is Gaby from the other cosplay blog~ I was excited to see that someone else chose cosplay as their blog assignment!

    I didn't think I would find someone else interested in cosplay in the class. Hehe. I look forward to reading your blog entries! And maybe we can meet up sometimes and talk about cosplay too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must be really out of the loop - I really had no idea that there was a name for this!
    You have no idea how much this explains a lot. I have a friend who dresses up in costumes every weekend all year long - I never understood what she called it. After all, "cosplay" isn't exactly a normal word.
    I really look forward to reading your blog - it looks like this is a lot of fun.
    I'm really interested in why people do it, though and how this started.

    ReplyDelete